Travel insurance frequently asked questions

This FAQ has been created to answer most of your queries on our travel insurance policy. Should you not find the answer you're looking for, feel free to contact us on 1890 608 808.

How do I buy a policy? More

AXA Travel Insurance can be purchased from this website or by phone at 1890 608 808.

You will be able to download policy documents and once you have purchased your policy, they will also be emailed to the address you have given.

What type of policy do I need? More

If you are planning on taking more than one trip in a year, you may find our Annual Travel Insurance policy is the easiest and best value option. You will be covered for trips up to 42 days in length, no matter how many times you travel during the year.

If you are not a frequent traveller and only taking a single trip, up to 90 days, then our Single Trip Travel Insurance may be the right option with a price to match the length of your trip and your destination.

When does my cover begin when I buy an Annual Travel Insurance policy? More

You will be covered from the start date that you enter when you purchase your policy and your payment has been approved. If you have already booked your trip, you will want to begin cover as soon as possible to protect yourself for cancellation of a trip you have already booked. Your cover may begin on the day you purchase the policy as long as the payment has been approved.

Am I covered as soon as I get the reference number? More

You will be covered as soon as your payment has been authorized and the selected start date has been reached.

How long can my trip last? More

If you purchase a Single Trip Travel policy, you may cover yourself for trips up to 90 days. If you purchase an Annual Travel Insurance policy, you will be covered for trips up to 42 days in length while your policy is valid.

Would I be covered under this policy if have a pre-existing medical condition? More

No, we do not offer cover for any pre-existing medical conditions. This means we will not pay any claim directly or indirectly related to any pre-existing medical condition. You will still have cover for other unrelated conditions.

If a member of my family or a travelling companion has an existing medical condition, will we be covered under this policy? More

No, we do not offer cover for any pre-existing medical conditions. This means we will not pay any claim directly or indirectly related to any pre-existing medical condition. By pre-existing medical conditions we mean:

  • Any past or current medical condition that has given rise to symptoms or for which any form of treatment or prescribed medication, medical consultation, investigation or follow-up/check-up has been required or received during the 2 years prior to the commencement of cover under this Benefit Schedule and/or prior to the booking of and/or commencement of any trip; and
  • Any cardiovascular or circulatory condition (e.g. heart condition, hypertension, blood clots, raised cholesterol, stroke, aneurysm) that has occurred at any time prior to commencement of cover under this Benefit Schedule and/or prior to any trip. Specifically for cancellation and curtailment, we will not cover any claims arising directly or indirectly from any pre-existing medical condition known to you prior to you purchasing the policy or prior to booking any trip (whichever is the later), affecting any close relative, any person with whom you are travelling, or staying during your trip if:

    1. A terminal diagnosis had been given by a medical practitioner; or
    2. They were on a waiting-list for, or had knowledge of the need for, surgery, inpatient treatment or investigation at any hospital or clinic;
    3. During the 90 days immediately prior to you purchasing the policy or prior to booking any trip (whichever is later) they had required surgery, inpatient treatment or hospital consultations.

You will still have cover for other unrelated conditions.

What country should I select if I’m going on a cruise? More

You must select the furthest region that you are travelling to. For example, if it is in the Caribbean select Worldwide including USA etc or if it is the Mediterranean you should select the European region.

Do you have any age limits? More

There is no age limit for Single Trip policies although customers aged 80 and over are covered for European travel only up to 30 days maximum.

Annual Multi Trip policies are available up to the age of 64.

Do I have to be a resident of the Republic of Ireland to be covered under this policy? More

Yes, you have to be a resident of the Republic of Ireland. If you would like to purchase insurance for someone who is a resident of another European country, please check our list of countries on to see if we offer a policy for residents of that country.

Which payment cards can I use to purchase my policy? More

We accept payment using the following credit or debit card: Laser,Visa, MasterCard.

My husband and I are covered under an Annual Travel policy. Will we be covered if we do not travel together? More

Yes, all adults named on the policy schedule are covered while travelling on their own and do not have to travel with the policyholder.

I have purchased an Annual Travel policy for my family. Will my children be covered if they go on a holiday with their school? More

Yes, the Annual Travel policy provides cover for insured children under 18 travelling even if they do not travel with you.

What happens if after I have purchased my policy I do not think it meets my needs? More

If you decide the insurance is not suitable for you, please return your policy to us within 14 days of purchase. Please send the policy to: AXA Travel Insurance, P.O. Box 11610, Dublin 1, Ireland. As long as you have not travelled, no claim has been made or is intended to be made and no incident likely to give rise to a claim has occurred and the policy and the Insurance Certificate are received prior to your departure date, we will refund the premium in full. If you cancel after 14 days of issue no premium refund will be made.

Do I need to take the policy documents with me when I travel? More

No, you do not have to but we recommend print your policy and Insurance Certificate to take along so you can refer to them if necessary. In any event, please have our phone number with you so you may call us in an emergency 24 hours a day on +353 (1) 4311 202.

When do I need an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card)? More

If you are travelling to countries within the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, we strongly recommend you apply for and obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This will provide you with cheaper or free state-provided medical treatment in most European countries. If you are travelling to Great Britain or Northern Ireland you do not require a European Health Insurance Card to obtain the necessary healthcare but need to provide proof that you are ordinarily resident in Ireland (in practice this means a driving licence, passport or similar document).

I am going scuba diving on holiday, am I covered? More

Yes, cover is provided up to depth of 18 metres if you are qualified or accompanied by qualified instructor and not diving alone. Please refer to the Sports and Other Activities Section of the policy for full details.

I might want to take part in extreme sports while I’m away. How will I know if they are covered? More

Please refer to the Sports and Other Activities section of the policy for full details of the sports that are covered when undertaken on an incidental basis.

Under the Winter Sports Cover Option, can I ski or snowboard off-piste? More

Yes, as long as you are accompanied by a qualified guide or instructor.

What countries are included when I select cover for Europe? More

  • Albania
  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Bailiwick of Guernsey
  • Bailiwick of Jersey
  • Belarus
  • Belgium
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Bulgaria
  • Channel Islands
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Egypt
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Georgia
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • FYR Macedonia
  • Malta
  • Moldova
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Russia west of the Ural mountains
  • San Marino
  • Serbia and Montenegro
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine
  • United Kingdom (England)
  • Scotland
  • Wales
  • Northern Ireland
  • the Isle of Man
  • Vatican City

What should I do if I have a medical emergency while I am away? More

For emergency assistance and advice, please call +353 1 4311 202. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you need a doctor, to go to the hospital or return home because of an emergency, we can assist you with advice and making arrangements.

What should I do if any of my belongings are stolen or lost? More

You must report the theft to the Police within 24 hours of discovering the theft and ask for a written report. If appropriate, report the theft to your hotel or apartment manager and ask them for a written report as well. If your baggage is lost by an airline or another carrier, you will need to obtain a PIR (Property Irregularity Report) from the handling agent.

If the pistes are closed in my resort, can I claim for not being able to ski? More

Yes, if you have paid for the Winter Sports Cover option. Please refer to the Winter Sports Cover Section of the policy for full details.

I am travelling in more than one country during my trip, can I still get a policy? More

Yes, if you select the European destination, you will be covered for travel to any of the countries listed during your trip during your period of cover.

If you select Worldwide except USA, Canada and the Caribbean, you will be covered for travel worldwide except the USA, Canada and the Caribbean during your period of cover.

If my car breaks down when I am travelling in Europe, would you cover it? More

No, we do not cover car breakdown and we suggest you insure your car separately with a European Breakdown Policy.

I have an annual policy. What happens at renewal? More

You will receive a letter 30 days before your expiry date informing you how to renew your policy. Your situation may have changed and you may require different options or wish to use another payment card.

Can I cancel my trip for any reason and get all my money back? More

No, you may only get a reimbursement under this travel insurance policy if you cancel a trip for a covered reason. Please refer to Section C – Cancellation or Curtailment of the policy for full details.